The Lodge: Duggan-Cronin Gallery
The Duggan-Cronin Gallery building, originally known as “The Lodge”, was built in 1889 for John Blades Currey, the manager of the London and South African Exploration Company. It became the property of De Beers Consolidated Mines Ltd. in 1899 and was used as a home for William Pickering, the Secretary and later Director of De Beers, and subsequently as a guest house.
In 1938 the company donated the building to the Kimberley City Council to house the Duggan-Cronin Collection. Alfred Duggan-Cronin was the first curator.