Today in Kimberley's History 
January 16th

"Every day has a story about Kimberley's past."


On this day...

The sixteenth day of January marks an important milestone in Kimberley's diamond mining history with the beginning of work on what would become the famous Wesselton Mine. During the Siege of Kimberley, nine years later, the town continued to endure daily bombardment while eagerly searching the horizon for signs that relief was drawing nearer.

1891 – Mining Begins at Wesselton

On this day in 1891, mining began in earnest at the newly discovered Wesselton Diamond Mine, originally known as the Premier Mine.


The discovery had been made only a few months earlier on Wessels Farm, although the exact date has never been established. Most historians believe the first indications of diamond-bearing ground were found during September 1890 by Fabricius, who was prospecting under an agreement with landowner Henry A. Ward. By 16 January 1891, Fabricius had employed at least five men—Owen Hall, Nott, Cellier, Ranier and McCullum—to begin developing the new mine.


When news of the discovery finally reached Kimberley, the Diamond Fields Advertiser described the mine as lying just south of Mr Mylchreest's former compound, close to the Orange Free State border.


How the discovery was made has become part of Kimberley's mining folklore. One version tells how Fabricius noticed a sparkling stone while riding across the veld. After washing the surrounding soil, he found both a diamond and unusually high concentrations of garnets and carbon, convincing him that another kimberlite pipe lay beneath the surface. Another tradition claims the first evidence came from soil thrown out of an aardvark burrow, while others believed it was a meerkat scrape. Whatever the true story, the discovery proved genuine.


The new mine quickly became one of Kimberley's major diamond producers and, after being renamed Wesselton, remained in operation for much of the twentieth century.


Did You Know?

The Wesselton Mine was originally known as the Premier Mine. It was renamed to avoid confusion after the much larger Premier Mine was discovered near Pretoria in 1902.

1900 – Bombardment Continues

93 days into the Siege of Kimberley

On 16 January 1900, Kimberley once again endured artillery fire from several directions, although little physical damage was caused.


In The Diary of a Doctor's Wife – During the Siege of Kimberley, October 1899 to February 1900, Winifred Heberden recorded that Dr Jack Heberden had finally managed to obtain bacon and arrowroot for his sick soldiers. The bacon had been salvaged from supplies originally intended for Bulawayo, some of which had survived despite months stranded at the railway station.


News also arrived from Hans Badenhorst that loyal British residents of Barkly West had been ordered to leave the town before 22 January. If true, Winifred feared many families would struggle to escape because only three wagons remained available.


Around Kimberley, Boer forces continued strengthening their positions at Carter's Ridge, digging new trenches and earthworks. Many believed they were preparing to deploy captured British 15-pounder guns taken at the Battle of Colenso.


Throughout the day, Boer artillery shelled Kimberley from Carter's Ridge, Olifantsfontein, Kamfersdam and Wimbledon Ridge. Despite the noise, little damage was inflicted, and British batteries replied only sparingly. Late that afternoon, observers stationed on the Wesselton Conning Tower witnessed an intense British bombardment of Boer positions between Scholtz's Nek and Magersfontein. The shellfire appeared to be directed by a military observation balloon, an early example of aerial reconnaissance being used to improve artillery accuracy. For the people of Kimberley, every distant explosion raised fresh hopes that the relief force was drawing closer.


Did You Know?

Observation balloons were among the earliest forms of military aerial reconnaissance, allowing artillery officers to direct shellfire from hundreds of metres above the battlefield decades before military aircraft became common.

1834 – Sir Benjamin D'Urban Becomes Governor

On this day in 1834, Sir Benjamin D'Urban assumed office as Governor of the Cape of Good Hope.


His administration coincided with a period of major change in southern Africa, including the Great Trek and the Sixth Xhosa War. During his governorship, the British annexed territory between the Keiskamma and Great Kei rivers and occupied Port Natal, which was later renamed Durban in his honour.


Although respected by many British settlers, D'Urban's treatment of African communities attracted criticism in Britain. Following an inquiry and evidence presented by missionary Dr John Philip, he was recalled to England before the end of his term.


While Kimberley had not yet been founded, D'Urban's governorship formed part of the broader colonial history that shaped the future development of the interior and, ultimately, the Diamond Fields.


Did You Know?

The city of Durban is named after Sir Benjamin D'Urban, who served as Governor of the Cape from 1834 to 1838.

Can't find a Kimberley connection for a particular date? Our Today in Kimberley's History collection is continually expanding as we research Kimberley's rich history. If you know of a notable local event that occurred on a specific date, we'd love to hear from you using the Contact Us page.

Kimberley's Story Continues

These are just two of the many events that helped shape Kimberley. Every date on the calendar reveals another chapter in the city's remarkable history.


Continue exploring...

Today in Kimberley's History Calendar

Explore Kimberley

What's On in Kimberley

Directions Around Kimberley

Guest Rooms